Institutions of Higher Learning

Institutions of Higher Learning Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees

Most VA education and training benefits may be used at institutions of higher learning, including four-year universities, community colleges, and entities offering advanced degrees.

Payments are based on the number of classes you attend. For example, a college considers:

  • 12 hours or more full time
  • 9–11 hours three-quarter time
  • 6–8 hours half time
  • Less than six hours as reimbursable at a rate not to exceed the tuition and fees charged for the course or courses

For graduate-level training, the training time is determined by the college. For example, if a two- hour class is considered full time in a graduate program at your school, VA will pay you the full-time rate.

Degree-granting institutions of higher learning participating in the Post-9/11 GI Bill Yellow Ribbon Program agree to make additional funds available for your education program without an additional charge to your GI Bill entitlement. Get more information in the Yellow Ribbon Program pamphlet or go online to the Yellow Ribbon Program page.

The GI Bill will allow you to attend more than one college at a time, as long as the classes at both institutions count toward your degree, and the school granting your degree accepts the classes at the second school as part of your requirements. However, the GI Bill will not pay you to take the same classes twice, unless you receive a failing grade in a class that is a graduation requirement.

The GI Bill can pay you for more than one degree. For example, it will pay you for a degree in Business and then for a second degree in Computer Science, or for an associates, bachelors, or masters degree in the same field. Once you have a degree, you could pursue another one, provided you have remaining entitlement on your GI Bill.

Payments are issued monthly in arrears. For example, you receive the November payment in December. For the Post-9/11 GI Bill, the tuition and fees are paid directly to the school, the book stipend is paid to you at the beginning of the term, and the housing allowance is paid to you at the end of each month.

You might also like:
The Evils of Progressivism Infiltrating Higher Learning
The Evils of Progressivism Infiltrating Higher Learning ...
Institutions of Higher Indoctrination
Institutions of Higher Indoctrination
Njoki Muhoho on the (poor) quality of Higher Learning
Njoki Muhoho on the (poor) quality of Higher Learning ...
Higher Learning
Higher Learning
Related Posts